8/28/2007

For the last few days I have been reading Ryszard Kapuscinski's 'Travels with Herodotus' which have kept me from the computer. I scanned some 160+ frames of 35mm film in between that time. I started to edit them this evening but the process will take some time.
The book is a great journey though history and first person encounters with different cultures before the full blow globalization changed all that. There is a sense of understanding the changes about places like India and China and how some elements are deep rooted in the diversity of culture.
On my last trip to Poland I picked up a book which includes various brief interviews of some of Poland's best known photographers. The first one is Mr. Kapuscinski and my main motivation of buying the book. To be honest I have yet to go though the book at length and oddly I stated the book in english before reading his interview in Polish. But I wanted to read his true work. Photography was of second importance in his travels. And with that I read so far I see how talented he really was in his writing.
All this of course is related to photography. In few days I will drive out to Canada. I really like Canada for some reason. Actually its more specific then that. People and the climate have a very familiar European feel and the weather reminds me of Poland. A quick fix via a 5 hour drive. I'll be driving out to Quebec City which is about 3 hours drive further then my last two trips. Of course this will include a camera and film. I am thinking of finishing some of the 35mm film stock I have left from workshop. So more color soon.
For now I am including a photograph I like the best from the roll I did with the Leica which a fellow photographer lent me to use at the workshop. I have a portrait of him in action which I will post soon along with other color frames from the 160+ frames.
I like this photograph for the mere simplicity of the young girl's expression among the complex lighting though the pattern of leaves reflecting above. There is a natural balance in the photograph due to the human expression of the little girl.

No comments: