1/01/2007


Happy New Year! I rang in 2007 twice with the good ol' phone and a 6 hour time difference. I am still amazed how technology can so convenient these days. So I just hope it gets continues to get better in that direction.

I shot my Nikon D70 a little over Christmas and New Years but only for personal snapshots of family. I don’t shoot it the same way as film. I don't get that into it as with film. The process with this camera is not the same. I know it’s probably just me. But the fact I have limited amount of film, the quality of film itself, the fact I have to invest time in to scanning and dusting of the image on the screen, well some might call it annoyance but I think that adds a satisfaction of a truly great photograph. I am not trying to say that digital is bad or anything in that sense. Its just it’s not for me, yet. The older I get the more I go back into tools that put you there in the process. And the more I understand the demand of the tools to create a photograph my vision gets clearer.

When I look at 2006 I can appreciate my re-entry in shooting, finding my friends and having my balance in life back. Man, I learned a lot. And instead of having a grumpy attitude toward taking on change I realize its there to change you. There is no right or wrong but the reality of the engine of getting older. I for one am conquering my impatience into reflections and taking the best from it all. Friends guide me when I get weak. I truly am lucky to have the ones I do. Today I read some short stories of Jorge Luis Borges , looked at Helmut Newton's work and now just relaxing. I’m looking forward to create photographs this year.

A second photograph from Museum of Modern Art in New York City.

No comments: