3/21/2007

I have heard the best definition or defense rather for film photography versus digital last night. I didn’t have the best of days yesterday. I woke up late and running around the house I got dress as if in a routine of everyday except that yesterday as I slipped on two shoes they were different. Similar color but way different style of shoes is what I realized on the train. So at this point embarrassed as I was I did not feel like attend the lecture at the Aperture gallery in NYC that evening. And at the same time I thought why not? Who cares… and if it applies which I think it does, I thought how bohemian. And from there as silly as I felt I figured I wanted to go to this lecture for a reason.
The photographer was Bert Teunissen. His work is all 4x5 and with available light only. His exhibition is titled ‘Domestic Landscapes’ and I think its superb. The important element of attending such lectures is the little stories behind the pictures. Mr. Teunissen connects them very well to his as true photographers do.
But to the original premise of the definition, Mr. Teunissen statement was that film photography consists of the process that is fragile to its surroundings. The digital camera is a computer which at best gives an average of data it captures on a chip. Any Photoshop adjustments are playing with just data. I agree. And to know Mr. Teunissen travels Europe via car and his 4x5 gear gives me a great boost to know all such efforts can produce superb work in a class of its own.
My next thing is to get quick enough with my 4x5 and better at approaching strangers for a portrait as I seem to find such work most satisfying.
Photograph tonight is not of a person but marks left by one. I like the reflection in the right corner from the frame in the windshield of the old architecture while down below are some old cars and a modern mark of spray-paint can. This was taken in Krakow in a very old Jewish section which is full of beautiful old buildings and a very active nightlife full of best pubs I have ever found in one city. Krakow’s nightlife is absolutely phenomenal.

No comments: