12/04/2006

Ok... been long enough since I posted one of my photographs from the Editorial side. In fact I will shoot more in the next few months of this sort of work given I can find models willing to stand the cold and this type of photography. I call it editorial because I don't see much of this in the mainstream and if I happen to come across a magazine that has anything close it is usually an artsy magazine. To me this sort of work is great expression of mood through the use of lighting and figure. There is just something about shooting editorial fashion which despite using the same locations repeatedly I find new interpretations of the similar light with the figure.
My gripes are usually due to my own laziness. But! I tend to expect a lot of people I shoot with because I know when it’s all done and over I can give them something that is about them. This is the problem I find with finding models. It’s rarely rally about them that they're looking for. It’s about looking like the girls on TV or magazine ads. However I have been lucky to meet few outstanding models which I have shot with multiple times and hope to work in time to come. There is a very cool atmosphere that develops between a model and photographer when the shoot is a of mutual interest. I am not talking about studio shoots for the moment but more of my own 'street/location' photography. There is a certain level I know or get to know the model over time. I trust them to trust me. That shows on a frame after frame if the connection is there. Some of my best photographs are when the model disconnects and drifts away in front of the camera. She no longer cares how she looks. She trusts the photographer because she gets a feeling for the connection. She drops her guard enough to work together freely without hesitation. Those are rare moments that I am learning over time that are the most rewarding. I just hope to find models like the few I have the pleasure to work with. But I am only 28 so hopefully I can continue to build my work running into ones that want to be photographed for whom and how they are.

The two photographs tonight are of quite contrast personalities but I know that if these two women found themselves in a room they could connect without an effort. Both absolutely great to work with.

No comments: