11/15/2006



2 days have not posted and actually began to feel angry at myself. I like the discipline of the blog.

My last 3 days have not been among the better days. My mood is right along everything else going on. Day job is the biggest contributor to it all but I'll manage. This blog is not a place for such non-essential and random venting.

Back to Photography. I watched a great film last night titled The Big Animal by Jerzy Stur from a script by Krzysztow Kieslowski. Great film about jealousy and darker side of such filings that appear in a small village. The subtitles are a big comprimase as the language is much more descriptive of what is going on but I still recommend the movie. Afterwards there is a 31 minute interview with Mr. Stur. Something that stuck in my head was 'Talent is something that can be seen in due time' which i find as a great simple statement. It made me think in terms of any genre but as always my thoughts wondered to photography where lucky shots can be taken by anyone. But the style of the photographer, his talent for the medium, can be only seen with time. To add more complexity the talent will be seen though the subject matter and the genuine representation of that theme. But most importantly that made me think of time being so vital to any creative process.

I rush from thought to thought, sentence to sentence, and book to book. I think some part of me likes the slow and reserved approach. The other wins most of the time. I am completely frustrated with this. Perhaps that has been my last 3 days wrapped in not being able to clearly see where I'll be in 6 months from now. But if time is what is needed to see talent and earning one's place at least I can breathe and not worry I need to prove something to someone right now. I can photograph, free and unrestricted. Maybe in some abstract collection of completely different photographs I'll be able to define myself. But maybe with time I'll find my access to the subject matter and due justice to the subject for what it means and feeling it evokes. Maybe with time.

No comments: