11/19/2006

Yesterday was an interesting day. I ended up shooting a back and white roll and I got about 8 images I am very happy with from 10 images. That is rare and superb ratio. Of course in few days I'll do another roll only to end up with 1 good image if I am lucky, or maybe I'll be on a roll.

What defines good images? That varies completely on subject matter. For me yesterday is the fact that the 8 images tell a represent the place and my day accurately. The subject was the Amish village/little informative museum. All elements are in more or less daily use. The farm itself has live animals and people that actually attend to the daily chores. Half of the building is empty for visitors education on the Amish culture. The two photographs I'm including tonight are among the first I took as I listened to the guide. There somewhat symbolic of the life and the typical day of the Amish. The overcast day worked out very well. The second photograph perhaps more plain but something about those clothes hanging on the pulley that seemed somehow familiar to me in simpler country living.

For technical details I ended up using an off-camera light meter. I no longer gave in to the spot metering that always convinces me in the end. I am very happy with these results. A simple as it sounds I saw the same technique used in the documentary mentioned few posts ago. Film was Tri-x in Rodinal at 1:100 scanned on Epson 2450 and levels adjusted in PS. The camera was the Mamyia 7 with 80mm lens.

No comments: