11/24/2006

So the last two sheets were developed today. I also declare today that I give up on plastic tanks all together. As soon as I found stainless steel tanks back when i was starting out I never looked back. I saw other photo students shunning away from them because they look as more could go working with them. To me they were simpler and quicker to clean. Well in 4x5 and above world there are few choices. Same plastic options creep up and not knowing much better I bought one. No matter whether its 35mm or 120 film or for that matter 4x5 all plastic tanks leak. The film comes out decent despite oozing chemicals but the mess left behind has me smelling of fixer and I developed the sheets 3 hours ago. Its as if I came out of the darkroom 5 minutes ago. So I ordered BTZS tubes and should have them shortly. I am getting more hooked on 4x5 shooting. The big part for the interest is the challenge between technical proficiency and subject interaction.

About the photograph: I chose one of the two. Both are very good, or less movement then yesterday but the reason for my final choice is a personal reason. Its much more real to me. The other photograph carries a calm smile where as this one is much more direct. Its more of how I know her to be. And the most striking difference is between this photograph and the last night's post. This one is much more direct where as the other one is very much withdrawn. I think the eye contact is very important in a photograph but I also believe a portrait suggesting an idea or thoughts might not necessarily require it (last night's Photograph). Both portraits give a little different interpretation of the personality.

This was Ilford HP5+ pushed 2 stops but since I couldn't find the time at dilution of 1:100 for Rodinal I followed a suggestion form http://www.digitaltruth.com/ to multiply the standard time x 2.25 which gave me 36 minutes. I would however recommend aprox. 40 minutes. The negatives are decent but little more time would lessen the normal but thin impression. I also highly recommend diluting Rodinal at higher rations as it gives superb tonal rendition. The developing times are much longer but the fact that the shadows develop bring in the magic of Rodinal. You end up with rich but contrasty tones. I just wish Agfa papers were still made. By far they were among my favorite black and white papers to print on.

No comments: