11/12/2006

Last two evenings have not been ones I wanted to have. Saturday was good in the routine of events that weekends bring but I wish I was more productive so sitting here now I can say I did everything with my weekend. Sundays are usually the catch-up day for reading and getting ready for week ahead.
I was asked what the photographs mean or do I post them at random. I never have answers to those questions right there. I photograph and because it is on film I try to choose my subject matter according to some thought or feeling of the moment. Now that I have gotten to picking the camera up more I am seeing that I shoot for the pure joy of it. I worry much less for the photograph to be perfect. I do my best. I began to stick to more of films and developers I'm used to. I shoot specific films the same way without throwing in big variants of stops pushed. It becomes easier to shoot.
And Saturday morning I was asked what is the purpose of these photographs. And the answer is being a Photographer. Some text follows some photographs. Some do not need it. But I am seeing that with time I am developing a certain style of some reflective exploration of my world at the moment. These things are everyday and we all see it with some also photographing it. Photographing downtown Manhattan is done by a lot of people. My purpose for these photographs? Perhaps to show those who like to see a more neutral and reflective way from where I end up at the moment. It might be NYC, it might be Warsaw, or Paris, Dublin, San Diego and anywhere in between. It is a perspective from a photographer who was born at a particular time and hang on to the traditions of the past. Perhaps its the change of time, the nostalgia that photographers loose themselves in that the places are disappearing. To me in the most direct contact with the metro area of NYC the feeling is documenting a reflection I have of my surroundings. The real world vs. the opinions and stereotypes others might have. Its almost like I will be a wondering of the world for the rest of my life. What I try to find is what we all can understand or call familiar. It might not be possible sometimes but then photography be too easy if it was.

No comments: