11/02/2006

Got home late today. I went to another Aperture lecture evening and I ened up getting a book of the photographer Speaking. Jonas Bendiksen. Book is called Satellites published by Aperture. I also came to realize today how much I like Magnum photographers. It is the most direct organization that hits home with me.

Jonas did the whole project on film. When I walked up to him and he signed my book I congratulated him and quickly talked about his project. Mine is Poland which I am planning to photographs over the next few ywars. He told me he now shoots mainly digital. My biggest internal debate on thecnical side is what to do about materials. Do I cut cost and go Digital which would mean I would have to sell most of my current gear. Or do I do film as scanners are getting better and get my best stuff done at the lab where I can produce great ink jet prints at home with my Epson. Of course the cost jumps when it comes to color. But in few years... if I want to rescan I get the same photograph with more detail. So how does one stick to one discipline and not get tempted by the other. Not knowing if the shot came out is a good thing to me. It makes me work hard or harder for the next image. It makes you earn that moment captured. It is part luck part effort and knowing of your materials. But cost.. is a factor since I am broke laltey... however.. but that might be the thing about it all... earning the image, trusting the process, slowing down and choosing the right image. I guess I want to have my images a refelction of me. I need to slow down for that. I hope I can find some strong argument to settle my internal debate. I am going to Photo Expo at Javits center saturday. Hopefully I can find some answears there.

No comments: